Everyone likes to talk about how complicated the world is today. I would go the other way and say that the world and life is quite simple. For me it comes down to these five things that I try to adhere to (and sadly often fail at) ...
- Be Nice … When the words were uttered by Patrick Swayze in “Roadhouse” I didn’t realize how powerful they were. Seriously though, this is the key to success and happiness. I am not suggesting being a patsy. But being nice has so many positive results… other people tend to be nice back, it creates a feeling of trust and sharing and, well, life is too damn short to be miserable and unfriendly. Sometimes people who are in a position of some power tend to be curt, short or unfriendly with people. I believe it is because they think it makes them sound decisive and authoritative… it doesn’t, it just makes you sound like an asshole.
- Do What You Say You Will Do … Sounds simple enough but we all know people who just can’t do this. Maybe they are just forgetful or disorganized or maybe they are disingenuous. Whatever the reason, don’t we always love being around people who keep their word? It is all about your creditability and who you are as a person.
- The Golden Rule … This actually comes from the Book of Matthew in the New Testament, the words of Jesus: “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.” It is always something to keep in mind, especially when we are having a crappy day or things are tough. Essentially this means, be honorable… share everything and be there for others.
- The World is Small… And the older you get the smaller it gets. Follow the above three “rules” and when the world continues to shrink you won’t have to worry about who you treated like crap in a past life.
- Let me stress again that I blogged about this because I struggle with it non-stop. But if we can adhere to this I believe that the rewards come back to us tenfold. The universe rewards you for being positive and kind. Plus it makes you feel better and when you do it, life is better. The end.